Celebrate Lunar New Year with a traditional savoury sticky rice dish! This scrumptious dish is a favourite of many during the holiday season, bringing friends and family together to share in its delectable goodness.
- 2 cups uncooked sticky rice (also known as “Sweet Rice” or “Glutinous Rice”)
- 6 dried prawns
- 6 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 3 links Chinese sausage, diced
- 1 teaspoon Shaoxing wine
- white pepper (to taste)
- 2 spring onions (thinly sliced)
- ¼ tsp sesame oil
- ¼ cup chicken stock (60 ml)
- 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark soy sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp water
- Pinch of salt
- Roasted peanuts
- Coriander (optional)
- Rinse the sticky rice 2 to 3 times gently. Then soak the rice in warm water for 3-4 hours (or overnight) until it has softened to a nice chewy texture.
- Soak the dried prawns in warm water for 10 minutes then finely chop. Set aside.
- Rehydrate the dried shiitake mushrooms in warm water for 20-30 minutes until softened then finely chop. Set aside.
- Combine one egg with 2 tsp water in a small bowl. Add a pinch of salt to taste. Whisk and mix thoroughly.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a stir-fry or wok over medium heat. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and spread it thin to cover the entire base. Cook for 15-30 seconds before flipping it over then quickly remove from the pan. Roll it up and cut into thin strips. Set aside.
- Add the diced Chinese sausage into the stir-fry or wok and stir for about 2 or 3 minutes or until they become slightly transparent.
- Add in the sliced shiitake mushrooms and dried prawns and stir fry until fragrant. Set aside.
- Add 2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil in the stir-fry or wok and cook the sticky rice on medium heat. When it turns dry, add ¼ cup chicken stock bit by bit (about 1 or 2 tablespoons each time) while mixing with the sticky rice. Keep stirring the rice as it cooks so it fries evenly. Repeat until the sticky rice is thoroughly cooked.
- Add oyster sauce, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, Shaoxing wine, and sugar to the sticky rice, and keep stirring until the rice is uniform in colour.
- Season with white pepper to taste. Garnish with roasted peanuts, sliced spring onions, shredded egg, and/or chopped coriander.
Snap a photo of your dish and tag us on Instagram @meyercookware
#MEYER #HomeCooking #DeliciousIdeas